The process of smoking meat has been around for hundreds of years, as it preserves and extends the life of foods that would otherwise perish in hot climates. Aside from preservation, smoking meat also adds a delicious flavor. Fish, poultry, meat, and other foods benefit from a smoking process. Both hot smoking and cold smoking are popular options, with various different types of wood used for each process, specifically hickory, oak, and maple to create different flavors. To experience the different combinations of smoked meats and smoked flavors, try the following smoked meat recipe. It’ll be sure to tempt your taste buds and inspire you to come up with your own favorite flavor combinations.
Smoked meat recipes are easy to put together, convenient, and absolutely delicious. They make perfect appetizers for parties, meals at brunch, or even are substantial enough for dinner.
Try this smoked meat recipe for Smoked Salmon pizza with caviar. It’s simple to make but fancy enough to serve at any occasion. Serves 4-8, depending on whether you serve it as a dinner or as appetizers.
Superb Smoked Meat Recipe: Pizza With Smoked Salmon and Caviar
Smoked Meat Recipe Ingredients:
3 to 4 ounces smoked salmon
Pizza dough, premade or the recipe of your preference.
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 medium red onion, julienned
1/4 bunch fresh dill, minced, plus 4 small sprigs, for garnish
1/3 cup sour cream or crème fraiche
Freshly ground pepper
4 heaping tablespoons domestic golden (whitefish) caviar
1 heaping teaspoon black caviar
1. Before you are ready to bake the pizzas, preheat the oven with a pizza stone inside for 30 minutes to 500 degrees F.
2. Cut the salmon into paper-thin slices. Reserve.
3. Roll or stretch the dough into 4 (8-inch) circles. Place the pizzas on a lightly floured wooden peel. Brush the center of each pizza to within 1 inch of the edge with olive oil and sprinkle it with some of the red onion.
4. Slide the pizza onto the stone and bake 8 to 12 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Remember that the oven is very hot and be careful as you place the pizza into and out of the oven.
5. Mix the dill with the sour cream or crème fraiche and freshly ground pepper, to taste. Transfer the pizzas to heated dinner plates and spread them with the sour cream mixture.
6. Divide the salmon, and arrange decoratively over the cream. Place a spoonful of golden caviar in the center of each pizza, then spoon a little of the black caviar into the center of the golden caviar.
*Recipe: Courtesy of www.foodnetwork.com.
For other delicious smoked meat recipes, visit our website.